From its advent, the mission of Sequestrum has been to feature new and emerging writers alongside literary heavyweights. Discovering new, unheralded voices is a bit like nicotine to us editors: We’re genetically predisposed to wanting more, and quitting gives us night terrors.
With our New Writer Awards, hundreds in cash prizes and publication in a future issue of Sequestrum will be awarded to up-and-coming poets.
New Writer Awards Details:
- Open only to writers who have not yet published a book-length manuscript.
- One first-prize poet will receive $400, plus publication in a future issue of Sequestrum.
- Runner up prize(s) of $25-$100 cash, plus publication.
- Up to three poems per entry. $15 entry fee. 50 lines per poem.
- Submissions read and reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Contest doors close October 15th, dependent on submission volume.
- As always, our first obligation is to giving every submission the time and consideration it deserves, and the editors reserve the right to close contest doors early in order to do so.
- The short and long: Get your work polished and submitted and don’t dawdle about it.
- We will only consider submissions through our online submission system.
- Entries must not have been previously published in any format.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed.
- Multiple entries are allowed, following the guidelines above.
- Include a brief 3rd person bio in your cover letter to be used as a contributor bio in the event of publication.
- Do not include any identifying information on your manuscript. This should be in your cover letter.
Past Contest Results:
2018 Editor’s Reprint Awards
2017 Editor’s Reprint Awards
2017 New Writer Awards
2016 Editor’s Reprint Award
2016 New Writer Awards
2015 New Writer Awards
2015 Editor’s Reprint Award